Refelction – Group 5

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z57u9qwM3Zo

Muhamet Marke

My experience with this project was very memorable. The whole coronavirus situation really made this project interesting. We had to improvise and form a plan on how we could gain information from the LGBTQ+ community without face to face contact. One of the group members created an amazing survey that really helped me develop an understanding of what the community goes through on a daily basis.

I learned a lot about the relevance of literature outside of the classroom. Literature helps people of all backgrounds cope and express themselves while feeling safe from the troubles of the outside world. Many people in the LGBTQ community use literature to help them mentally persevere from the constant hate and bigotry they have to be faced with.

One particular feature of literature used to cope with violence was the genre of self-help. I thought this was very interesting because it showed how the LGBTQ+ community copes with violence by attempting to find peace in their mind and soul. It’s very alarming to know that there are people out there that put down and perform violence on such a large, strong, and inspiring community.

Deja Anderson

My experience with this project was that it was inspirational. The reason why I say that is because I have had terrible experiences working in group projects, where people don’t play their part or someone wants to take over. But, the people in my group all dedicated effort and time to this project, and no one took charge because we worked as a team. Even when we were hit with the obstacle of the coronavirus and social distancing, We kept on communicating the best way we can and worked out solutions as classmates and new friends.

I also enjoyed learning about LGBTQ history and how their rights were gained over time. I have many friends and some family members a part of this community and I never knew the things that were done to get where we are today. I learned that the main thing that helps LGBTQ people stay strong is their sense of community and love, from each other and people outside their community. Being able to build relationships and friendships with people who don’t judge you based on your sex or partner is what makes the world go round and what makes an environment equal and peaceful for everyone. This project taught me that and I am thankful for that.

The history of LGBTQ rights in schools started with an alliance between teachers and students both a part of the LGBTQ community and those who are straight. Through this action, students felt freer to be themselves and even began taking leadership roles to publically fight for more rights. This shows how powerful this movement for equality is and schools all over The United States have LGBTQ clubs that are open to anyone and are a safe haven for many.

Farhana Mijee

My experience undertaking this project was very pleasant. I enjoyed sharing creative ideas, collaborating with my group members, and hearing everyone’s opinions. Although we had to come up with a new plan to document our community due to the coronavirus and social distancing, I believe we managed to pull through and work together.

Through this project, I learned how literature positively impacts the LGBTQ+ community, especially for high school students. Literature shows teenagers to be comfortable with their sexuality and themselves. LGBTQ+ literature involves plot lines, characters, and themes related to the LGBTQ+ community. It teaches teenagers who are confused with their identity about confidence, self-love, and self-expression.

High school students in the community read gay romance novels because they can relate to the characters. Most popular romance novels involve heterosexual characters, so LGBTQ+ people feel excluded. Another popular genre of literature is “self-help”. Self-help books allow teens to feel proud of themselves and get rid of negativity.

Kayla Labno

My experience with this group project has actually brought me happiness. As someone who is part of this community, it made me really excited to share with my fellow classmates what I personally knew and shared with this community. We did come across an obstacle caused by COVID-19  but as a whole we still managed to still make the best out of this project.  I was also very moved by the amazing feedback we received from the survey. I was so relieved when people actually took the time of their day to honestly and openly answer the questions given in the survey, and share their personal experiences with us. This feedback made me extremely excited to share with my group which gave them a better understanding of some obstacles faced by the LGBTQ+ community.

I remember when our group decided to focus on the LGBTQ+ community, one of the concerns my group had was how would we include literature into our project. In this project we learned the many ways literature has helped many students in acceptance of who they are. If it’s either a book openly written to explain what high school students go through ( sexuality, drugs, and identity) or self-growth, or even media spreading awareness. These different types of literature help people feel comfortable and more accepted into society regardless of the hardships they may face.

Media has been one of the greatest influences on youth. Many influencers share their stories and the battles they have faced. During Pride month many advertisements and stores share their support as well. All this media influence helps the LGBTQ+ community feel included and accepted into society. Influencers sharing their experience help people who struggle day to day realize they are not alone and that many other people go through the same thing as they do.

Sheila Hadid

My experience with this project was eye opening.I have become more knowledgeable about the LGBT community. I enjoyed reading all the responses and the collaboration of my group. Everyone in this group is so dedicated and it made me feel happy to share this experience with them.

When we were constructing this project we did not know how we would get feedback, and I did not think anyone would be comfortable to respond. After reading all the responses and how open people have been is truly heartwarming, that someone can be so vulnerable in order to voice what this community is going through.

Poems and journaling are ways that the LGBT community uses literature to cope. Having a community where they can all lean on each other and share openly is amazing. There are parades that support the community as well, so to know there is support out there and they support one another must be very comforting.